Historic Children’s and Junior Interpreter Program
During July and August, the Friends of the Ukrainian Village Society (FOUVS) offer weeklong day-camps for children and youth – the Historic Children’s Program (HCP) for ages 6 to 11, and the Junior Interpreter’s Program (JIP) for ages 12 to 16. Dressed in historic costumes, children and youth time travel to the 1920’s and participate in a week of activities that explore early immigrant and homestead life!
HISTORIC CHILDREN’S PROGRAM(AGES 6-11)
The Historic Children’s Program provides children the opportunity to develop their imagination and creativity while taking part in historic activities at the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village (UCHV). Through active play and hard work, they explore the lives of early Ukrainian-Canadian children who were settlers and farmers. They will make themselves at home in the kitchen’s of early Ukrainian-Canadian farmers and make homemade cookies, they will do farm chores with animals and work in the gardens . They will also play old-time games, attend a country school, make crafts and have the opportunity to explore nature.
JUNIOR INTERPRETER PROGRAM (AGES 12-16)
Junior Interpreters will have the opportunity to re-enact the lives of pioneer youth by participating in many day-to-day activities associated with youth in historic homes and farmsteads – they will be engaged in a unique and historically accurate learning experience. Working along-side UCHV interpreters they will learn what it takes to bring history to life and will learn how a historic site functions.
For weeks 1-5 transportation to and from convenient locations in Edmonton and Sherwood Park to the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village is provided. Week 6 transportation is provided from Mundare, Vegreville, and Lamont.
Pick-ups and drops-off locations for weeks one to five are:
- St. Anthony’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church, 6103-172 Street, Edmonton
- St. Martin’s School, 11310-51 Avenue, Edmonton (7:20 am and 4:45 pm)
- Old St. Stephen’s College, 8820-112 Street, Edmonton (7:30 am and 4:35 pm)
- Northgate Mall, next to Chili’s, 95 Street and 137 Avenue, Edmonton (7:50 am and 4:15 pm)
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help, 13 Brower Drive, Sherwood Park (8:15 am and 3:45 pm)
- Clark’s Esso, RR 223 and Hwy 16, Lamont County (8:30 and 3:30)
On week 6 the pick-up and drop-off locations are:
- Homesteader Hotel parking lot, Vegreville (8:15 am and 3:50 pm)
- Mundare Arena, Mundare (8:30 am and 3:35 pm)
- Lamont Elementary School, Lamont (8:50 am and3:15 pm)
The fees include transportation, lunches for two days, two snacks each day, all activities. GST has been added. Lunches for three days can be purchased for an additional $25.